Tonight I racked the mead from its primary fermentation. That is to say that I siphoned the fermented liquid out from under the peach goo that was floating on top.
It is now finished fermenting and needs to clear and age a bit before bottling.
I always get a kick out of seeing a hydrometer sink to below 1.000. This mead is DRY! Gravity reads 0.996 or so. That means that we have an alcohol content around ... Actually, if you remember, I didn't take a beginning gravity reading, so it is impossible to calculate. But if we assume that it was around 1.12, the math looks like this: 1.112 - 0.998= .114 and then we multiply by 130 to convert to % ABV. So .114 x 130 = 14.82%
I ended up filling a 3 gallon Carboy right to the top and left 2 gallons of peach sludge behind! I love it when a plan comes together!
This will take a while to age to be sure, which may be a good thing! Since I'm blogging from my phone again, it may be a while before I get pictures added to this post! But rest assured, I will add them!
Anyway, I hope you rock the rest of the week!